Work While Studying

Work While Studying

To work in Canada as a student working off-campus, full-time international students can work off-campus without a work permit

  • during regular academic sessions, and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a condition on your study permit that states that you may accept employment on or off campus,
  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

PGWP will be equal in length to the study program up to three years. For example, an 8-month study program results in an 8-month work permit. However, if the program is 2 years or longer, a 3-year work permit will be given. Therefore, a 2-year program is ideal to receive the maximum PGWP.